Are you looking for a learning management system (LMS) plugin for your WordPress site? LMS plugin helps you create, manage, and sell online courses with ease. In this article, we have compared the best WordPress LMS plugins available in the market.
Why Do You Need a WordPress LMS Plugin?
If you’re looking to offer online courses on your site, then you’ll need to install a LMS plugin.
Now you might be wondering, why do you need an LMS plugin when you can create and sell online courses using a WordPress membership plugin?
A WordPress LMS platform does more than just a typical membership site. With a WordPress LMS plugin, you can create an immersive learning experience for your students through various gamification methods rather than just persuading them to take up a membership and start learning.
Gamification makes learning fun and easy. Plus, it entices students to take new lessons and ultimately, increase engagement. It also increases the likelihood of retaining students on the platform longer.
A few basic features of a WordPress LMS plugin are:
- Instant feedback: A good platform provides instant feedback so learners can identify what they know.
- Grading system: One of the best ways to make learning fun is by implementing a grading system that shows your students’ progress.
- Certification: As a reward, you can also offer certification to those who have successfully completed their courses.
- And a lot more…
Now that you know the importance of using a WordPress LMS plugin on your online course website, let’s compare some of the best WordPress LMS plugins.
LearnDash is the best WordPress LMS plugin in existence. LearnDash makes it super easy to create and sell courses, deliver quizzes, award certificates and more.
It enables you to offer a robust learning experience to your members and supports the latest gamification, social learning and micro-content trends.
Some of the ways you can sell your online courses from LearnDash are:
- Memberships: Sell traditional membership access to your entire online courses.
- One-time price: Allow users to make individual online course purchase.
- Subscription: Maximize revenue through recurring payments and subscription for your online course.
- Course licenses: Allow organizers to purchase the license in bulk and grant access to their staffs.
With LearnDash, you can let your students unlock new courses based on the points they earn as they complete courses. This increases user engagement in your online courses. You can also offer front-end user profiles where members can track their learning progress.
The pricing starts at $199 per year for a single site license.
LifterLMS is another powerful LMS plugin for WordPress that makes it easy to create and sell online courses on your site.
You can easily expand its core functionalities by integrating it with powerful extensions, including Stripe, PayPal, Authorize.net, MailChimp and more.
Similar to LearnDash, LifterLMS also has a keen focus on engagement by providing powerful features like achievement badges, certificates, social learning, 1:1 private coaching and more.
You can monetize your LMS platforms using different methods:
- Membership: Sell site-wide membership that provides access to every course.
- Bundle: Sell course bundles to boost your revenue.
- Members-only pricing: Allow users to make individual course purchase. You can also set members-only pricing to make paid memberships so valuable.
Addons can be purchased individually for $99 each or save big with a bundle for $299.
LearnPress is a free LMS plugin for WordPress that comes with all the important features you’ll ever need. Unlike most other LMS plugins in this list, LearnPress comes with a setup wizard that makes onboarding easy for all level of users.
With its beautiful interface, you’ll find it easy to create courses, export or import courses from different websites that also use LearnPress. The core plugin is intended to be lightweight, but you can expand it with powerful extensions. It supports content drip, quizzes, grading, and a lot more.
It lets you seamlessly integrate with bbPress forums, BuddyPress social networks and add powerful storefront features using, WooCommerce.
A bunch of free addons are also available with LearnPress:
- Wishlist: Students can add courses to a wishlist.
- Course review: Add social proof by publishing user generated review for your courses on your site.
- Prerequisite courses: Require users to pass certain courses to enroll other courses.
Want the full addons bundle? Click here to get the complete LearnPress addons bundle.
WP Courseware is an easy to use solution for creating and selling online courses on your WordPress site. It comes with an easy to use drag and drop builder that makes course creation hassle free. Once your course units are created, you just need to drag and drop them per your needs, and your course is built.
With its powerful quiz feature, you can create advanced quiz types, set timers and retake limits.
WP Courseware is also bundled with advanced automation tools that send personalized emails triggered by student activities. To help improve your students’ proficiency, you can set up custom feedback messages that can be configured to be sent based on students’ scores.
Like any other LMS platform, WP Courseware is also shipped with course content drip system that enables you to schedule the release of your content at specific intervals from enrollment.
Sensei is a powerful premium plugin that transforms your WordPress website into an advanced learning platform. Sensei is built by the same team behind WooCommerce, the leading WordPress based eCommerce plugin.
Sensei is not a full-featured membership plugin. It handles the creation and publishing of online courses, but in order to sell access, you will need to use it in conjunction with membership or eCommerce plugins.
Creating courses with Sensei is easy and straightforward. Sensei provides simple reporting facilities that give you an overview of your content, grades, and students registered with the site.
Sensei is not as feature-rich compared to other LMS plugins for WordPress. Plus, only limited extensions are available that enhance core functionalities.
Namaste! LMS is a free learning management plugin for WordPress. It allows you to create different rules for accessing courses after completing the prerequisite courses.
A few benefits of using Namaste! LMS are:
- Certificates: Students can earn certificates after completing a course
- Grade system: Analyze students’ performance using the grade system.
- Badges: Award badges that can be showcased on any website.
- Progress bar: The premium version of the plugin lets you enable a progress bar that shows students how they do in each course.
Compared to other LMS plugins for WordPress, the addons and features are limited.
TalentLMS is a cloud based LMS software that makes online learning and training fun and easy. As it’s a standalone product, you can get your online course up and running quickly and easily without installing any software. It comes bundled with comprehensive analytics that gives you all the data you need to know about your students and how they interact with your online courses.
A few more benefits of using TalentLMS are:
- Mobile ready: All courses you build on TalentLMS is mobile ready, meaning your students can start taking courses from any device with ease.
- Repurpose: You can easily repurpose your existing content to create new online courses.
- Rich communication tools: It supports personal messages, calendar and discussion forums.
Which is the Best WordPress LMS Plugin?
After comparing all the different WordPress LMS plugins, we believe that LearnDash is the best WordPress LMS plugin for most users because it offers the most comprehensive LMS features. It comes with tons of useful extensions that enhance the core functionalities of your WordPress site.
We hope this article helped you find the best WordPress LMS plugins for your needs.
Want to create a membership site? Take a look at the best WordPress membership plugins.