Do you want to increase the speed of your WordPress website? Using a caching plugin on your website is one of the best ways to ensure your website loads faster.
Statistically speaking, nearly half of your website’s audience expects your site to load in less than 3 seconds. So it comes as no surprise that Google continues to emphasize site speed in its search algorithm. The higher the page speed, the better your search rankings, and the more organic traffic you can attract.
In this article, we will share the best WordPress caching plugins for your website.
Why Do You Need a WordPress Caching Plugin?
A caching plugin generates static HTML pages of your website and saves it on your server.
Each time a user tries to access your website, your caching plugin serves up the lighter HTML page instead of processing the comparatively heavier WordPress PHP scripts. This allows the caching plugin to tremendously improve your page loading time.
With caching plugins, you can:
- Increase your website’s speed and reduce page load time
- Improve user experience as everything works faster and smoother
- Boost SEO rankings as search engines love a fast loading site
Caching plugins handle all the technical work while you just have to click a few buttons to make your site incredibly faster. Now, let’s dive into the best caching plugins for WordPress.
9 Best WordPress Cache Plugins
- WP Rocket: Most Popular Premium Cache Plugin
- WP-Optimize: All-in-one WordPress Optimization Plugin
- SG Optimizer: Free WordPress Plugin by SiteGround
- WP Super Cache: Cache Plugin from WordPress.com
- W3 Total Cache: Developer Friendly WordPress Cache Plugin
- WP Fastest Cache: Simple Caching Plugin for WordPress
- Comet Cache: Free WordPress Caching Plugin
- Cache Enabler: Best Lightweight WordPress Cache Plugin
- Hyper Cache: Yet Another Free WordPress Cache
- LiteSpeed Cache: Best All-in-One Site Acceleration Plugin
- Autoptimize: Most Compatible Caching Plugin
Let’s take a look at the best WordPress caching plugins available on the market.
1. WP Rocket: Most Popular Premium Cache Plugin
WP Rocket is the most popular premium caching plugin for WordPress. The ease of configuration is what sets WP Rocket apart from its competition. Once you activate the plugin, page caching will immediately be activated.
A few more benefits of using WP Rocket are:
- Indexing your website on search engines will be improved.
- Lazy loading is applied to your images, meaning your images are loaded only when they’re visible to your visitors on their browser.
- It comes with loads of hooks that help developers easily extend its features.
WP Rocket is loaded with features and is so simple to use. It’s without a doubt the best WordPress cache plugin.
Price: WP Rocket is a premium plugin for WordPress websites. It starts at $49 for a single site license.
2. WP-Optimize: All-in-one WordPress Optimization Plugin
WP-Optimize is a freemium caching plugin, created by the same folks behind the legendary backup plugin, UpdraftPlus. It’s been used on almost a million websites worldwide.
WP-Optimize speeds up your WordPress site by cleaning your database, compressing your large images, and caching your site.
- Clean the database: This plugin clears out all the unnecessary data in your database, cleans up your tables, and ultimately makes your website fast and efficient.
- Image compression: Its image compression tool significantly reduces server resources by converting large images into compressed files and improves page loading time.
- Caching: It comes with all the essential features of any other caching plugin with minimal setup configuration.
Price: Free version available. Premium version starts at $49 per year.
3. SG Optimizer: Free WordPress Caching Plugin by SiteGround
SG Optimizer is a free caching plugin by SiteGround that’s available to download from WordPress.org. It’s built to connect your WordPress site with the SiteGround performance services. It is worth noting that this plugin will work only if you’ve hosted your website with SiteGround and will not work with any other hosts.
The plugin helps improve your website performance by various optimization techniques. Here are some of the features that it offers.
- It lets you configure your dynamic caching and Memcached. You can enable/disable the automatic cache purge and exclude URLs from the cache. You also have the option to test your web pages if they are properly cached.
- It allows you to force HTTPS for your site and switch between different PHP versions. You can even enable/disable Gzip Compression and browser caching rules for your site.
- You have the option to enable/disable the minification of your HTML, JS and CSS resources. It lets you remove the Emoji support and the query strings from your static resources.
- You can also optimize your images individually or in bulk.
4. WP Super Cache: Cache Plugin from WordPress.com
WP Super Cache is another popular caching plugin for WordPress, with over a million active installs. The plugin is run by Automattic, the same team behind WordPress.com.
WP Super Cache helps you generate static html files from your dynamic WordPress blog. After processing comparatively heavier WordPress PHP scripts on your site, WP Super Cache serves the static HTML file to the vast majority of your website visitors.
WP Super Cache serves cached files in 3 ways:
- Simple: This is the most recommended method of file caching because you don’t have to edit PHP files, plus the .htaccess file does not need to be configured.
- Expert: This is the fastest caching method to serve super cached HTML files to users, but requires a modification of your .htaccess files.
- WP Super Caching: This method is used to cache pages for known users (the ones who log into your site, leave comments, etc.). Though it’s the most flexible caching method, it’s slightly slower compared to other methods.
5. W3 Total Cache: Developer Friendly WordPress Cache Plugin
With over a million active installs, W3 Total Cache is one of the most popular caching plugins for WordPress. It improves your server performance by caching every aspect of your site and also offers content delivery network integrations.
It’s been used and recommended by countless companies and publications like AT&T, MattCutts.com, Mashable.com, and many others. Whether your site is hosted on a shared hosting network or a dedicated server, you’ll find the plugin helpful to improve your web server performance and reduce page load time. Currently, it’s the only plugin designed to optimize all practical hosting environments.
It offers support for Google Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) and Secure Socket Layer (SSL).
A few highlights of W3 Total Cache include:
- 10x improvement in overall site performance
- Content delivery network (CDN) integration
- Improved web server performance
- Sustain high traffic periods
6. WP Fastest Cache: Simple Caching Plugin for WordPress
WP Fastest Cache comes with fewer configuration settings for WordPress caching, which makes it one of the easiest WordPress caching plugins available in the official WordPress plugins repository.
Just like any other caching plugin, it creates static HTML files from your dynamic WordPress site.
To reduce the size of files, the plugin minifies HTML and CSS files. It also allows you to disable emojis on your site. It effectively implements WordPress browser caching to reduce page load time for repeat visitors and combines many CSS files into one to reduce the number of HTTP round-trips.
The premium version of the plugin comes with a lot of unique features to increase your page speed, like image optimization, database cleanup, mobile caching, and a lot more.
After you installed the free WP Fastest Cache plugin, you can purchase the premium version directly from your WordPress dashboard.
A few highlights of WP Fastest Cache plugin include:
- Admin control to delete cached files
- Enable/Disable cache option for mobile devices
- SSL and CDN support
- Preload cache and WP-CLI cache clearing
Price: Both free and premium versions are available. The price is hidden from the website and can be seen after you click the buy button embedded inside your free plugin.
7. Comet Cache: Free WordPress Caching Plugin
Comet Cache is another popular caching plugin with 60,000 active installs. Unlike other caching plugins, Comet Cache comes with the ability to cache logged-in users too. That means if you’re running a membership site, eCommerce site, or any other sites that require users to register, then Comet Cache is a must-use plugin for you.
The plugin uses WordPress browser caching with the Apache server, meaning you can increase the page speed by avoiding multiple roundtrips between the server and browser.
You can also serve all cached files on your site from the content delivery network (CDN) of your choice. It supports popular CDN networks like CloudFront, MaxCDN, and more.
To avoid generating a new version of the cache while your server is busy, the plugin monitors the server load and temporarily disables cache expiration.
The plugin also shows you cache statistics to help you gain insight into the status of your site cache.
A few highlights of Comet Cache plugin include:
- Control the automatic cache clearing behavior
- Developer friendly
- WP-CLI Compatibility
- Simple and well-documentated configuration
Price: There’s a free version available. Comet Cache also has premium versions with more features. A single site license can be purchased for a one-time fee of $39.
8. Cache Enabler: Best Lightweight WordPress Cache Plugin
Cache Enabler is a lightweight caching plugin that creates a static HTML file of your site and serves them to the vast majority of your website visitors upon request. It needs minimal configuration and comes with all the important features you’ll ever need from a caching plugin.
Unlike most free WordPress caching plugins, Cache Enabler provides extensive documentation that helps you explore the different plugin features. With beautiful screenshots and videos, the documentation will walk you through the different aspects of WordPress caching.
It’s in your best interest to not use any mobile-specific themes or plugins that show different layouts for mobile and desktop users along with Cache Enabler because then the cache will be bypassed, rendering it useless.
A few highlights of Comet Cache plugin include:
- Fast and efficient cache engine
- Automatic smart cache clearing
- Manual cache clearing
- WP-CLI cache clearing
- Works perfectly with other third party plugins
9. Hyper Cache: Yet Another Free WordPress Cache
Activating Hyper Cache is easy because it works with a set of default values.
The plugin comes with a mobile theme switch option that allows you to enable caching even if you’re using different layouts for mobile users and desktops. This comes in handy if you use a responsive theme on your site or need different ad formats for different devices.
Another unique benefit of Hyper Cache is its ability to serve cached pages to comment authors. However, you can also disable serving cached pages to comment authors if you want to.
It is also a bbPress ready plugin, so you can enable cache for your bbPress forum pages.
The downside to this plugin is that it hasn’t been updated in a really long time nor has it been tested with the latest 3 major releases of WordPress. We would recommend looking for a plugin that is better maintained.
A few highlights of Hyper Cache plugin include:
- Double cache for desktop and mobile site versions
- CDN Support and HTTPs ready
- Serve expired pages to bots to increase perceived speed score
10. LiteSpeed Cache: Best All-in-One Site Acceleration Plugin
LiteSpeed Cache is a free plugin for WordPress sites that features an exclusive server-level cache. It has plenty of site optimization features to reduce page load time.
You can import/export your settings from other caching plugins so moving to LiteSpeed Cache is a breeze.
Some of LiteSpeed Cache’s highlights include:
- Image optimization and lazyload
- Multiple CDN support
- PageSpeed score optimization
- Cloudflare API
- Single Site and Multisite (Network) support
Price: Free plugin to speed up your website.
11. Autoptimize: Most Compatible Caching Plugin
Autoptimize is a free and awesome WordPress caching plugin that makes speed optimization really easy.
It comes with an extensive API that enables you to tailor the Autoptimize plugin to suit your site’s specific needs.
Autoptimize concatenates all scripts and styles on your site, and minifies and compresses them. It then adds expires headers, caches them, and moves styles to the page head, and scripts (optionally) to the footer. It also minifies your website’s HTML code itself which can speed up your WordPress even more.
With Autoptimize caching enabled, your pages load at lightning-fast loading speeds. Here’s what the Autoptimize plugin offers:
- Lazy-load and image optimization
- Flawless compatiblity with most websites
- Pro support for auto configurations
And there you have it! That’s our list of the best WordPress cache plugins in the market. If you’re still wondering which is the right WordPress cache plugin for your site, we give you our verdict next.
Choosing the Best WordPress Caching Plugin for Your Needs
When it comes to choosing a WordPress caching plugin for your site, there is no “one size fits all” solution.
If you’d like to choose the best free WordPress caching plugin that does the job, then choose either W3 Total Cache or WP Super Cache. Both of them are constantly being updated and are used by over a million websites.
We hope this guide helped you choose the best caching plugin for your website. Good luck with speeding up your site!